The NUCoach platform is very flexible and customizable. Developers can create new modules and integrations through our selection of application program interfaces, or APIs, that allow access to data collected in NUCoach and stored in our database on DeepHealth Lab.
Wait, what is DeepHealth Lab?
DeepHealth Lab is the engine that runs NUCoach. This site connects to an SSL-secured database hosted by DigitalOcean Cloud services. Using this platform, researchers can access raw participant data that is secured using a robust access level management system. DeepHealth Lab’s API allows for easy integration with outside sensors and services.
Twilio is a cloud communications platform company that allows software developers to programmatically make and receive phone calls and send and receive text messages using its web service APIs. We use Twilio to prompt individuals to complete various coaching tasks at that time. Twilio allows us to insert a link that directly opens our NUCoach mobile app (this function in iOS only).
Wearable sensors, such as Microsoft Band 2, Empatica E4, Misfit devices, Emfit QS, and Firstbeat Bodyguard 2 (ECG). Using mobile companion applications (for MS Band 2 and Misfit) or simple drag-and-drop upload tools (for E4 and Firstbeat), DeepHealth Lab will automatically convert sensor data into standard MySQL format before storing in our database. These will be described in more detail in a later post.
The NUCoach mobile app serves multiple functions. It is the primary interface for client users and facilitates activities like:
- Delivery of surveys and ecological momentary assessments
- Delivery of project-related content (e.g. short articles on developing healthy habits)
- Collecting data from personal devices like Misfit, Fitbit, and Emfit
- Real-time communication with coaches
- Access to technical assistance
The main use for coaches in the real-time chat with clients and other coaches. These “chats” pop up on your phone just like a text message or notification, making communication among project teammates simple and seamless.
Our app is available on both the Apple App and Android Play stores. Just look for the heart icon!
Here are some of the key features available on NUCoach:
- Action Plans are collections of activities assigned to a Client by a Coach. Types of activities include:
- Scheduled surveys
- Triggered surveys (in beta)
- To-do lists
- Photo taking/upload
- Activity monitoring allows Coaches to see which activities their Clients have completed and which ones they have missed
- Scheduled reminders deliver semi-tailored messages of encouragement and reinforcement to Clients on behalf of their Coaches
- Integrating streaming sensors and real-time data analysis (in beta) allow Coaches to amass large amounts of information on their Clients that will help Coaches better customize their approach to each Client. This may also help Coaches get in touch with Clients if problems are detected.
- Conditional messaging that allows relevant feedback to be personalized and automated based on data collected from integrated wearable sensors.
- Duplicating Action Plans and Reminder schedules (in beta) allow Coaches to easily copy existing complex Action Plans for other Clients as well as shift the start date and time to account for rolling enrollment
- Chat and activity logging among Coaches allows for real time coaching collaboration
- Real time chat between Coaches and Clients gives Client better access to their Coaches at the most convenient time for the Client
- Unidirectional custom text messages to Clients (initiated by Coaches) and a log of these messages gives Coaches a simple, web-based method of sending text messages to their Clients whenever needed and without looking up phone numbers or email addresses
We are building new features every day, including ways to monitor and download Client data.